maandag 9 maart 2015

Free motion quilting elephant footprint

It is spring in The Netherlands. Blue sky, sunny and 14-18 degrees Celsius. Time for a long walk at the beach this afternoon.
Yesterday I binded my big elephant parade quilt. The back is a green fleece, that is a bit elastic and difficult to quilt without folds. When I use fleece for the back I prefer to spray the top and the back to the batting and bind the quilt before quilting. I use a wide quilt pattern. With a dense quilt pattern the soft feeling of the fleece will disappear. I stitched in the ditch the elephant parade miniquilt but for this quilt I designed a pattern with elephant footprints. Tomorrow I give it away, so I need to quilt today.

Ha, heerlijk lente in Nederland. Ik geniet van de blauwe lucht, het zonnetje en de heerlijke temperatuur.
Gisteren heb ik de grote top van de quilt voor de
olifantenparade gesandwiched en afgebiesd. De achterkant is een frisse groene fleece. Omdat het fleece elastisch is en makkelijk plooien geeft bij het doorquilten, heb ik zowel de top als de achterkant aan de vullng gelijmd en de quilt afgebiesd. Ik ga de quilt nu niet te dicht doorquilten want dan is het effect van de zachte fleece achterkant weg. De kleine miniquilt heb ik langs de naden gestikt, maar voor de grote heb ik een quiltpatroon bedacht met olifanten pootafdrukken. Morgen wil ik de quilt weggeven, dus vandaag moet de quilt afzijn.


For this mini stitching in the ditch is enough. But for that big one I need something else.


Soft fleece batting needs special care to finish the quilt.
A tutorail for the Elephant parade 'Little bit binding'
at the end of this post of the Elephant parade
For the quilt pattern I used these pictures:
The footprint is a not interesting for a quilt pattern, so I needed the foot for the design. To make it simple the elephants get four toes.

Voor het ontwerp van het quitdesign heb ik deze foto's gebruikt. De afdruk is een beetje saai voor een quiltpatroon, dus heb ik foto's van de voet gebruikt. Om het simpel te houden heb ik de olifant vier tenen gegeven.



I had to draw a few sketchbook pages more to practice before I start
with quilting. The size of a foot is 3-5 inch long.

How to quilt the final design.
Another design is elephant traces (in my next post)
The finished quilt. My first quilted 'big quilt' on my machine. It was not easy!!
I need a lot of practice and a quilting table.




This present is already gone the day after I finished it!!

It is not easy to guilt this size ( 57,5 inch x 51 inch) on a sewing machine. I think the fleece backing made it even more difficult. I need a  lot more practice. So I must sew more big tops.
In my next post I will show my Elephant Parade doll quilt and the fmq design with elephant traces.

Het valt niet mee om quilts van deze afmetingen op de naaimachine door te quilten! Door de dikke fleece backing was het nog moeilijker. Ik moet nog veel oefenen. Dus nog meer grotere quilts maken.
In mijn volgende bericht laat ik mijn poppenquilt zien met pink elephants en een fmq design met olifanten sporen.

It is so nice of you stopping by,  Feel free to leave a comment. I love it.

Fijn dat u langs kwam, ik hoor graag van iedereen en stel je commentaar zeer op prijs.

Thanks so much for reading/dank je voor het lezen van mijn bericht.

Love from Amsterdam and keep quilting

Maartje

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten