zaterdag 1 augustus 2015

A paper piece copyright problem (solved)

Free Bitty Block pattern of Quilt Art Design

First of all welcome to my new followers. Thank you for your interest in my posts.
This week I have a copyright problem.
I downloaded a free 'Bitty Block'  cat pattern. The block is 4 inch and I wanted to sew a 10 inch block. I posted a picture of the block and give the credit to the designer of the block, Janeen van Niekerk, and placed a link to het website Quilt Art design. I could have enlarge the pattern with a photocopy, but I used EQ7. I used EQ7 to learn how I made patterns with EQ7. Janeen mailed me to say that I need her permission to enlarge this free pattern with EQ7. She hoped I learned a lesson, but I do not understand. Almost every quilter resizes block patterns to fit a quilt without the permission of the designer.
Question 1: Is it forbidden to enlarge a pattern?
Question 2: If not: is it forbidden to enlarge the pattern with software and not by photocopy? The effect is the same.
Question 3: When you use a paper piece pattern, you make a copy for every block, because you can not reuse the pattern. I read on a website with information about copyright that it is not allowed to make a copy of a pattern. Do you need to buy the pattern for every paper pieced block? And what about using freezing paper. One copy can be used several times!?!?
Does anybody knows the anwers? Because I do not understand why Janeen of Quilt Art Design is so mad.



Welkom aan mijn nieuwe volgers. Bedankt voor uw interesse in mijn blog.
Deze week had ik een probleem met copyrights. Ik heb het gratis 'Bitty block' patroon van Janeen van  Quilt Art design gedownload. The Bitty blokken zijn 4 inch en ik heb het patroon met EQ7 vergroot tot 10 inch. Ik had het patroon ook vergroot kunnen uitprinten.  Janeen mailde me dat ik het patroon niet had mogen vergroten met EQ7 zonder haar toestemming. Ze hoopte dat ik een lesje had geleerd. Ik snap het niet. Ik zie toch veel quilters patronen aanpssen aan de maat van hun quilt.
Vraag 1: Is het verboden om de grootte van een patroon aan te passen?
Vraag 2; Als het niet verboden is, is het dan wel verboden om het met de computer te doen? En wat as ik freezer paper gebruik. Een kopietje kan dan meerdere keren gebruikt worden.
Vraag 3: Als ik een papieren paperpiecepatroon maak, dan moet je voor elk blok een copy maken. Als dat niet mag, moet je dan voor elk blok een nieuw patroon kopen?
Weet iemand het antwoord, want ik snap echt niet waarom Janeen van Quilt Art design zo boos is.

Update: The answers are clear: you may copy and enlarge a pattern for own use. It makes no difference in which way you change or enlarge the pattern. You do not need permission.
My advise when you use a pattern and you blog about it: Give the artist all credits and link to the website, so more sewers can met the artist and her or his work.

Update: Het antwoord is simpel en duidelijk. Je mag een patroon voor eigen gebruik kopieren en vergroten of verkleinen. Het maakt niet uit hoe je dat doet en je hebt er geen toestemming voor nodig.
Mijn advies, als je patronen gebruikt en erover blogt: Geef alle eer aan de artiest en link naar de website, zodat meer quilters de artiest en zijn of haar werk leren kennen.

Besides the copy right issue I had a lot of fun with EQ7 and paper piecing patterns. This week I will test my patterns and make them available for download.I need to find out how I do that with a PDF printer.

Naast the copyrightproblemen heb ik met veel plezier geleerd om paperpiecingpatronen te maken met EQ7. Van de week ga ik de patronen uittesten en geschikt te maken om te downloaden. Even uitzoeken hoe ik dat doe met een PDF-printer.

Kitten silhouet

Silhouet of kitten playing. I suppose only to use with more kitten blocks
in a quilt. Otherwise you will not recognise it as a kitten. 

A bowl
I already sewed some blocks with my patterns, and made placemates with the blocks. Enough space for some fmq fun. It will be a gift to my eldest daughter in law.

Ik heb al een aantal blokken van mijn patronen genaaid en er placemats van gemaakt voor mijn oudste schoondochter. Er blijft genoeg ruimte op de placemats over om uitde vrije hand te quilten. Dat vind ik toch het leukste van alles.

Another three placemats with paperpieced blocks, joined te green cup of last week.
My own patterns, but you find similar patterns everywhere.


I love this filler.
I made some more paper pieced blocks.

A friend for Bitty Cat, this one my own pattern.
Another weekly mad cow. Number 6 ,  Mrs. green, six to go.
Pattern: PiecemealQuilts
It is so nice of you to stopping by. Feel free to leve a comment. I love it.

Fijn dat u langs kwam, ik hoor graag van iedereen en stel je commentaar zeer op prijs.

Love from Amsterdam and keep quilting and sewing

Maartje

maartjequilt@gmail.com



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten