zondag 8 mei 2016

The pitcher and the knives

Matisse: The pitcher and the knives

Last summer there was an exhibition with collages of the paper cuts of the  French artist Henri Matisse.  You saw posters with his collage 'The Oasis' all over Amsterdam.  I was impressed and inspired by his work and made for my sketchbook a few mini's with his bright colors.
When Alida asked me to participate in her 'Art with Fabric blog hop'  I knew the artist would be Matisse again. His paper cut outs are so colorful and fun! I love the shapes, the colors and compositions of his collages.

Vorig jaar zomer was er een tentoonstelling van de knipselcollages van Henri Matisse. In heel Amsterdam hingen posters van zijn kleurrijke collage: Oase. Je kon het niet missen. Ik was geinspireerd door zijn werk en maakte verschillende mini;s voor mijn schetsboek. Toen Alida mij vroeg deel te nemen aan haar  'Art with fabric blog hop' was het voor mij duidelijk dat de artiest weer Matisse zou zijn. Ik hou van de kleuren, vormen en composities van zijn collages.

  'The Oasis' of Matisse' with his plant shapes. Last summer this poster  all over Amsterdam made me smile a lot !!

I am 'pleasant addicted' to paper piecing, but Matisse is for me raw edge applique and free motion quilting. I love the shapes of the pitcher and the woman. These shapes  are so strong! I used them for two mini's. Matisse used to dye his sheets of paper, so I used 'home dyed' fabric scraps. With a blanket stitch I aplliqued the pink pitcher, but for me that is not Matisse style. The purple woman is appliqued with three lines of straight stitches, for me that's more Matisse. I decided to embroider the plants. The fmq pattern is a meandering with Matisse plants. The size of the plants are not equal, just like Matisse's cut outs.

Ik ben prettig verslaafd aan paper piecing, maar Matisse is voor mij raw edge appliceren  en quilten uit de vrije hand.  Ik vind de vormen van de messenwerper en de vrouw zo sterk in deze collage daarom gebruikte ik ze voor twee mini's. Matisse verfde de blaadjes waaruit hij de vormen knipte zelf en ik gebruikte katoen dat ik zelf geverfd heb uit mijn doos met restjes. De rose werper heb ik met een festonsteek genaaid, maar dat vind ik toch niet typisch Matisse. De paarse vrouw heb ik met drie lijnen rechte steken vastgestikt en dat is meer Matisse. Het quilten is een soort meanderen met plant figuren van Matisse in verschillende grootte, zoals ook de plantjes op dit werk van Matisse.


The pitcher ......
...........and his knives!
The pitcher and his knives

Meandering with Matisse's plants. I hope the quilting
coatches the eye to  
Combinations of plants and other shapes of cut outs make beautiful fms too. You find them in this Matisse post with other Matisse's mini's. I always try to find shapes when I look to quilts with meandering. That is why I try to sew meandering with mtching shapes when I quilt.

Combinaties van Matisse's planten en andere knipselvormen geven ook prachtige patronen om uit de vrije hand te quilten, Ik gebruikte deze voor Matisse mini's in dit bericht. Ik vind het altijd leuk om in en quilt allerlei vormen te ontdekken  Daarom probeer ik altijd bijpassende vormen in mijn meander patronen te verstoppen.



I'm so curious to see which artists inspired the other participants of the 'Art with Fabric blog hop'. I'm sure all 'Art pieces' are beautifull. Please visit the other participants to see their work.
Thanks Alida for hosting!!

Ik ben zo nieuwsgierig welke artiesten de deelnemers aan de 'Art with Fabric bloghop geinpireerd hebben! Alle werken zullen prachtig zijn. Ik hoop dat ze veel bezoekers krijgen.
Dank je Alida voor het organiseren van de blog hop!!


Monday, May 9th, 2016


Tuesday, May 10th, 2016


Wednesday, May 11th, 2016


Thursday, May 12th, 2016


Friday, May 13th, 2016



My Matisse's posts:
Matisse in my sketchbook

Another Matisse fmq filler

Matisse mini's

Sketchbook fun with Matisse




Maartje Quilts in Amsterdam





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten